A Hands-On Approach to Learning
We use an active, hands-on approach to learning called project-based learning (PBL). Students participate in multi-disciplinary projects each year that are aligned to grade-level standards. Our projects have a strong focus on applied arts and technology.
Our curriculum meets all New York State and NYC DOE educational standards to prepare students for future success in college and the workforce. Our core programs include:
- English Language Arts/Literacy: Into Reading (HMH); Scholastic News; Raz-Kids (Guided Reading)
- Math: : EnVision 2.0 (Pearson)
- Science: Core Knowledge Science (NYCDOE)
- Social Studies: Passport to Social Studies (NYCDOE)
- Art and Music: Weekly
- Physical Education/Recess: Daily
- Technology: Weekly
Dual Language Program: Español Hablado Aquí!
Español hablado aquí! We offer a Spanish/English dual language enrichment program for all of our students. Native English speakers, native Spanish speakers, and speakers of other languages are all welcome! Our dual language teacher provides instruction in Spanish for students wishing to improve their Spanish skills.
Learning with Technology
Technology plays a big role in learning at our school. We have a 1:1 technology program with iPads for students in grades K – 5 as well as a fully equipped computer lab. We are also a Google school: all of our students learn how to use Google Classroom and Google tools to support learning. We also use technology to support our digital arts program and STEM programs such as coding.
Preparing for 21st-Century Careers
Career Day is one of our favorite days of the year! We are preparing our students for 21st-Century careers. Career Day opens up a window into adult career opportunities for our students. In the spring of 2019, 196WBMS was the only school in the district to offer a virtual career week during the COVID shutdown!
Get Ready for Middle School
Our academic and multimedia programs prepare students for success in middle school and beyond. 196WBMS shares space with MS 582: The Magnet School for Multimedia, Technology and Urban Planning. MS 582 continues our focus on applied arts and technology with exciting, career-focused STEM and multimedia programs that introduce students to 21st-century careers. Many of our students go on to MS 582 for middle school. Some of our community partnerships, such as New York Cares and Grand Street Settlement, also continue at MS 582, providing a cohesive PreK – 8 experience for our students.
We offer a full range of Special Education (SPED) services for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). We also provide academic support for any student struggling to master grade-level standards. Your child’s teachers will work with you to identify your child’s needs and make sure they are getting the help they need to be successful. Our support services include:
- SPED services including speech and language, occupational and physical therapy
- SETSS (Special Education Teacher Support Services) for small-group intervention
- Additional intervention services for students needing help with grade-level math and literacy skills
- After-school tutoring and homework help through our partnerships with New York Cares, Pace University and Practice Makes Perfect
- In-house school psychologist and guidance counselor