Programs & Partnerships
We have established partnerships with many community-based organizations to support students and families, enhance our curriculum and magnet program, and provide additional opportunities for enrichment.
- We are a United Community School, an initiative of the United Federation of Teachers. This program allows us to provide a variety of supports for students and families to ensure that every child is ready to learn and thrive.
- New York Cares provides a variety of programs and services for our students, including the back-to-school backpack/school supply program and the Winter Wishes gift program. New York Cares volunteers also provide tutoring and homework help and support enrichment programs before and after school and on Saturdays. During the pandemic, volunteers have helped us provide high-quality virtual learning and enrichment opportunities for students.
Health and Wellness
- Dental: NYU Lutheran Dental maintains an office in our school. All students are eligible to receive dental check-ups and professional cleanings during the school day.
- Vision: All students receive a vision screening, and those who need a pair of glasses receive them for free through a partnership with Hellen Keller International.
- Family Health Challenge: Medical interns and residents lead these weekly lessons and introduce the children to a series of healthy behaviors each week for 8 weeks. The doctors have created videos to transition this to remote learning for the fall of 2020.
- Little Flower Yoga: Yoga instructors help our students to build resilience, improve emotional balance, teach social and emotional learning skills and help our students navigate distractions.
Arts and Theater
- Rosie's Theater Kids: Our entire 5th grade participates in this theater program, which involves learning about theater arts (including a trip to a Broadway performance) and creating a performance as a class. Some students also participate in their summer camp and continue in their Middle School program.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Salvadori: This project-based program brings engineering and architecture into the classroom. Students in grades K-1 learn about and build animal habitats, and students in grades 3-4 learn about and build bridges.
- BRIC Media Arts: Second-graders learn stop-motion animation from our partners at BRIC and complete fun animation projects.
- Sanford Harmony: This program includes weekly lessons and everyday practices designed around the pillars of diversity and inclusion, empathy and critical thinking, communication, problem solving, and peer relationships.
- Tutoring programs: We have partnerships with Pace University, Practice Makes Perfect, and New York Cares to provide tutoring for students in need of additional one-on-one support.