Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how 196WBMS is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection. We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe. Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
Last updated: February 1, 2021
Salvadori- K & 1P.S. 196 WBMS
ENL Afterschool 2:35-4:35P.S. 196 WBMS
Rosie's Theater Kids - 4 & 5P.S. 196 WBMS
1/2 Day for Students
Dismissal In Person Students -10:50amP.S. 196 WBMS
Parent Teacher ConferencesP.S. 196 WBMS
We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn at all times by all adults and students in the building.
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Social Distancing: Social distancing is required at all times. Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building without an appointment.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 100°F must stay home and notify the school. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you quarantine for a minimum of 14 days and notify the school.
- Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site page to find a test site closest to you.
We are committed to making sure that all students can successfully connect to online learning during their at-home learning days.
- If your student needs a laptop or tablet, fill out the Device Request Form to reserve your device. Borrowing a device is free!
- If your children experience internet-connectivity issues with their iPads, they can request help through the Technical Support for Families form or by calling the DOE Tech Support hotline at 718-935-5100.
- Borrowed devices should be used for school purposes only and kept in a secure location. Take your device with you on in-school days.
- If you are not able to get internet hooked up in your home, please reach out to your child's teacher or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remote Learning Expectations
During blended or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should log onto Google Classroom daily for important updates and assignments from their teachers.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time, appropriately dressed (in uniform if possible), and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.