Join Our Family
Welcome to PS 196: The Williamsburg Bridge Magnet School for Communication and Mixed Media Arts (also known as 196WBMS). We are a PreK – 5 magnet school located in the East Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn and serving students from across New York City. When you walk through our doors, you will find a warm, supportive learning environment where students can explore, discover and express themselves. We are proud to have a dedicated, professional teaching staff with a deep commitment to our community; many of our teachers have been with us for more than a decade. We take the time to get to know every child and family, so we can work together to help every child succeed.
Note: Due to COVID-19, we may not be able to offer all of our normal programs and partnerships this year. We remain committed to providing a rigorous academic program for every child this school year.
Celebrating the Whole Child
At 196WBMS, we are committed to a “whole child” approach to education. What does that mean? It means going beyond meeting grade-level academic standards to meet the total needs of every child. That includes:
- Academic supports and enrichment programs to provide the right level of challenge for every student
- Art, music and theater programs to encourage creativity and self-expression
- Health and wellness education to support strong bodies and minds
- Social-emotional learning programs to build character and create a positive learning environment
- In-school programs and community-based partnerships to connect students and families to resources
Communication and Mixed Media Arts
Our magnet theme is Communication and Mixed Media Arts. We use an active, hands-on approach to learning that infuses the arts into everything we do. Through this approach, our students develop the skills they need for success in higher education and the 21st-century workforce, including creativity, communication skills, critical thinking and collaboration. Our magnet theme comes to life through:
- Project-based learning opportunities that integrate academic curriculum with applied arts and communication.
- A 1:1 technology program for students in grades K – 5, which allows us to support digital arts and STEM learning.
- Partnerships with community organizations that bring theater and the arts into the classroom and our after-school programs.
- Special facilities including our art studio, hydroponics lab and block room.
What is a Magnet School?
We are a magnet school within the New York City DOE. As a magnet school, we are a public school, but we are open to any student within the five boroughs of New York City, not just students in our zone. Our magnet school grant provides additional funding to support special programs, facilities and partnerships around our magnet theme. Read more about New York City magnet schools.
The community of 196WBMS is committed to working towards the enhancement of our standards-driven instructional program, creating high levels of academic excellence for all of our students in each of the disciplines.
We will continue to provide a safe environment that empowers all children, including English Language Learners and students with special needs, to experience greater success and confidence in themselves, allowing them to grow socially, emotionally, as well as academically into well-rounded productive citizens.
As an NYC Magnet School, we welcome applications from all students within the five boroughs of New York City. First priority is given to students living within our zoned area; however, we accept applications from all zones. Find your attendance zone and district.
- To apply for PreK or Kindergarten enrollment, follow the NYCDOE Kindergarten Enrollment Process.
- For out-of-zone enrollment (grades 1 – 5), contact us for a Magnet School application.
Due to COVID-19, we are not currently offering open houses or physical tours of our building. To learn more about us, call us at 718-497-0139 to schedule a virtual tour.
We are located in the East Williamsburg neighborhood in Brooklyn. We are just one block from the Montrose stop on the L train and near the B43 bus line.